[OS X TeX] gmane archives out of date.

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Mon Jul 7 19:49:36 EDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
> Please don't hijack existing threads -- see the "List Reminders and
> Etiquette" link in the footer of this message.

Yikes! Not sure how I hijacked an existing thread.  Is there a "os x
tex gmane" thread?  Anyway, sorry!

> On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Owen Densmore wrote:
>> The gmane archive is not keeping up with the list .. last entry I
>> see is 14 June.  I'd like to search the archives before asking a
>> question that's likely been answered already!  The mailman archives
>> aren't easily searchable.
>
> Thank you for noticing that. I just checked and I see that the
> address for gmane had been blocked due to excessive bouncing. I have
> unblocked it, though I have no idea why it would have excessively
> bounced and I also have no idea how to get the missing messages into
> the gmane archive. If someone knows how to do this, please let me
> know. It would be nice to have the missing messages included.
>
>> BTW: our group has found nabble a better overall list archive, and
>> we're changing our existing gmane archives there.  Both isn't a bad
>> idea either, redundancy is useful.
>
> What is it you prefer about Nabble over gmane? Can I move gmane
> archives to Nabble?

It may be a matter of taste: they have a very clean layout, they are a
bit more "modern" than gmane (you can embed your archive into your own
web site, for example), they try to present a Forum experience, good
RSS support, child/parent lists, and they're now working on a newer
version, Nabble 2, including many requests from their users.

Lots of info here:
   http://www.nabble.com/

I don't know if they can move gmane archives.  I did ask them (support at nabble.com
) about putting some of our mailman archives into nabble, and they
asked for the "mbox" file to be uploaded.  I didn't follow up, but I
do know they try to upload old archive content if at all possible.

    -- Owen