[OS X TeX] Leopard, MacTeX2007 and gv

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Jul 8 21:22:25 EDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 10:01 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> The real problem is that gv is linked to libXaw3d which is not part
> of Apple's installation of X11 (and never has been). The version of
> libXaw3d that was installed on the computer where Eric's version of
> gv was built must have come from some third party that placed it
> into /usr/X11R6/lib. More recent installations of libXaw3d (for
> example from Fink) don't do this, they install it somewhere
> privately, Fink for example in /sw/lib/libXaw3d.7.dylib.

I am to blame. My Xaw3d i-Package installs the addition in /usr/X11R6
probably because that was the default install location of the Xaw3d
software itself (and I never change that). It is the exception to the
rule that i-Packages generally install in /usr/local (not all do,
ii2.ii2 installs in /Application/Utilities)

I am now fully on Leopard and cannot compile anything using X11 that
needs to be running on Tiger as Leopard has the X11R6->X11 link
whereas Tiger does not have the opposite (the package could create the
link perhaps, but I have no systems to test this on)