[OS X TeX] (Off topic?) A problem with the Latin Modern Opentype fonts

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Wed Jul 9 05:12:00 EDT 2008

Hello everybody,

I have installed the Latin Modern Opentype fonts, using the Font-
Additions bundle from Richard Koch's Website (http://
darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/). They seem to work fine with my GUI-
applications (on MacOSX 10.4.11) unless I wish to use the italic
shape of these fonts.

With NeoOffice and TextEdit, if I use for example the "Latin Modern
Roman 12 Regular" font by default, when I  switch to italic fonts
using the GUI interface  of the application (clicking the "I" button
in the upper part of the NeoOffice window for example), I obtain… a
bold italic font.  What's more, it's in fact the 10pt-size LM bold
italic font magnified to 12pt size, according to TextEdit. I have to
select myself and manually  the "Latin Modern Roman 12 Italic" font
in the "very" long list of all available fonts, for managing to using
it.

To cap it all, it works though very well with… Word 2004: with this
application, I obtain the right italic, not bold, font, using only
the "I" icon of its fonts window.

Is there an explication for all that?

Thanks,

Franck Pastor