[OS X TeX] svnX and Leopard [OT]

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon Jun 16 21:21:04 EDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 3:47 PM -0500 6/16/08, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I sent the following to the subverion list, but noone replied,
>>> probably because it's too Mac specific.  Since I know some of us
>>> here use svn, perhaps someone here has encountered this problem
>>> and knows how to solve it.
>>>
>>> I use svnX on Macs to access my repositories using svn+ssh. Now
>>> with a new machine running OS 10.5.3 I get the following error:
>>>
>>> tchs: svnserve: Command not found
>>> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
>>>
>>> I can access the repository from the command line, but not through
>>> the client.  I've set up a dsa key specifically for subversion,
>>> and added it to the authorized keys on the server machine. This
>>> works for two other Macs running 10.4.  (One these machines I use
>>> sshagent, but I understand this is not required on OS 10.5.
>>>
>>> In the authorized keys file on the server side the key for
>>> subversion includes the prefix "command=/usr/local/bin/svnserve -
>>> t" .
>>>
>>> Should this command  have a path that is to svnserve on the server
>>> side? (The server is running 10.4, so svn is in /usr/local/bin
>>> whereas svn is now part of OS 10.5, so on the client machine it's
>>> in /usr/bin.  Could this be a source of the problem?
>>>
>>> Any help much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I'm pretty much a svn novice but have been using svnX with some
>> success. You might have to install the recommended svn binaries
>> obtained from <http://homepage.mac.com/martinott/> but again, note
>> my novice standing.
>
> Hi Herb, I also have been using svnX successfully on two other Macs
> plus the server running Tiger. With Leopard, svn is already included
> in the system so I don't need to install binaries. Also, the problem
> doesn't seem to be with the svn binaries themselves, but with svnX
> and its svn+ssh tunnelling under Leopard, since I can use svn from
> the command line on the new Mac.

I know that this doesn't help answer your question, but have you
checked out (no pun intended) Versions? It is a really nice GUI for
working with subversion. You can download and try out the beta at:

http://www.versionsapp.com/

I have been using it for almost two weeks and I have little interest
in going back to the command line.

-- Gary