[OS X TeX] How Long...

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Jun 21 20:11:56 EDT 2008

Hi Herb,

On 22/06/2008, at 2:27 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Jason Davies wrote:
>
>> Herbert Schulz wrote on 21/6/08 at 14:28
>>

>>> So, let the discussion begin. How many people, especially at
>>> Universities and other Organizations, which distribute software via
>>> Disk still need Panther versions?
>>
>> I've got one at home and my dept uses a few. But then, they
>> already have things installed and don't especially need updating
>> (if it ain't broke, don't fix..)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Not only that... what they have will likely never be updated and
> still work on their systems.

I don't think that is the best attitude to adopt.

A later distribution may well have extra packages and
software tools that *will* work under the older OS.
A user may well think that the easiest way to get these
is from the later MacTeX distribution.

But if trying to install this way forces other changes that lead
to a non-working system, with no easy way to reverse the unwanted
changes, then there's a potential disaster lurking here.

Devising installation procedures to avoid this trap could well be
quite tricky. Simply demanding that *only* the later OS can be used
is not an acceptable solution, IMO.

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)