[OS X TeX] how to crop a pdf graphic file

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Mon Jun 30 14:28:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

I thought in the past I had succeeded in doing the equivalent of
hiding a variable proportion of each edge of a figure by using the
option [trim= l b r t] in the \includegraphics command. A bit like
using crop on an image in Word. It is easier than reopening the figure
in a graphics program to crop it there (although, I suppose, it makes
the final pdf document smaller when you do so).

Either I was mistaken then or the behavior has changed since: now the
trim command seems to act on the distance between the figure and, say,
the text that comes after. In fact, with a large value for "b", my
figure remains the same size as before and no part is hidden, but the
following paragraph overprints on top the figure.

Is there a way to "crop" the figure instead? Say a figure that would
be 10 cm wide by 10 cm high, but I want to see only the top 5 cm (10 x
5)?

Thanks in advance,

Denis