[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in Acrobat

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at ensmp.fr
Wed Mar 5 10:40:16 EST 2008

Le 5 mars 08 à 15:35, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Personally I'm just using the version from MacTeX, for which:
>
> $ xetex -version
> XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> kpathsea version 3.5.6
> Copyright 2007 SIL International.
> Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
> There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
> covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
> the Lesser GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file
> named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
> Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
> Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.
>
> Compiled with ICU version 3.4 [with modifications for XeTeX]
> Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
> Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.2.1; using 2.2.1
> Using Mac OS X Carbon, Cocoa & QuickTime frameworks
>
> Do you get the same info regarding FreeType and such? Did you
> install FreeType? It's normally installed automatically with
> MacTeX. With gwTeX you've got to install it separately (there's an
> i-Package for it).

I have the same output for xetex -version in Terminal.

>> Or maybe the pdf engine has changed for Leopard? I am under 10.4.11.
>
> What you might try is use xdvipdfmx instead of xdv2pdf. Assuming
> you're using TeXShop, go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/
> XeTeX/ and move XeTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine and XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine
> to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/. Then, in your input file, change the
> line
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex

> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdvipdfmx
>
> Typeset, and see what happens.
>
> Hope this works,

done it; it typesets with the same result in Windows Acrobat :-(

It turns out that I have a large library (URW) of fonts that I got
when purchasing Canvas 5. I typeset the test file using a Garamond
postscript type 1 font family  and, well, I do not have any baseline
problem anymore at screen size in Windows.
I have re-typeset the document with the TT fonts installed instead of
the PS ones, and the the result has the same appearance.

So maybe the culprit is Cochin, or the way it is PDF'd in Tiger?

BTW the info on Cochin in Font Book is (in French)
	Nom PostScript	Cochin
	Nom complet	Cochin
	Famille	Cochin
	Style	Regular
	Type	TrueType
	Langue	français, anglais, allemand, espagnol, italien, suédois,
danois, finnois, portugais
	Version	5.0d1
	Emplacement	/Library/Fonts/Cochin.dfont
	Nom unique	Cochin; 5.0d1; Mon, Dec. 1, 2003
	Copyright	Copyright (c) 1981 Linotype AG and/or its subsidiaries.
	Description	(c) 1981 Linotype AG and/or its subsidiaries. All Rights
Reserved.  This data is the property of Linotype AG and/or its
subsidiaries  and may not be reproduced, used, displayed, modified,
disclosed or  transferred without the express written approval of
Linotype AG  and/or its subsidiaries.
	Activée	Oui
	Doublon	Non

Anyway, thanks for the help. I appreciate the amount of expertise on
this list.

François