[OS X TeX] corrupt pdf fille

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 17 17:43:18 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Javier Elizondo wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have edited a latex file with Emacs and texshop and after a while
> of being working on it, I got a corrupted pdf file, most of the math
> content appears not readable. And the fonts (usualy roman) are also
> changed.
>
> Everything gets again fine if I restart the computer, and again,
> after a while when I keep working on the file and running it a few
> times the problem comes back. It is an easy file, and I have run the
> file in a linux computer and everything is fine. However, it seems
> that if I look at the file using adobe acrobat reader everything
> seems fine.
>
> The latex file is the following

Here's one possibility:

More than likely is that you don't have the default encoding for the
file set to Latin 1 in your preferences. Since you also don't have a
line

%%!TEX encoding = IsoLatin

so, if the default encoding in TeXShop->Preferences isn't ISO Latin 1
the file will be saved incorrectly. The \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
line tells LaTeX what encoding to expect but doesn't guarantee that is
how the file was saved.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)