[OS X TeX] Leopard MacTeX PATH problems, still

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 22 19:16:16 EDT 2008

On Mar 22, 2008, at 5:48 PM, David Airey wrote:
> I posted in January about my PATH variable not being set correctly
> on my Leopard OS X system, following MacTeX installation. The
> symptoms are programs and scripts other than TeXShop not being able
> to latex files (like TextMate, which I wanted to try). Currently the
> PATH variable is:
>
> Last login: Sat Mar 22 15:51:44 on ttys000
> [AireyDC:~] dairey% echo $PATH
> /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
> [AireyDC:~] dairey%
>
> I was under the impression that after running the leopard fixes from
> Dick Koch, tex should be in there somewhere. But they are not. The
> appropriate files are in etc/paths.d with the same permission
> settings as the help file for the leopard fix package describes, but
> I don't think everything is as it should be.
>
> I also tried installation of Basic TeX, but that did not correct the
> path either.
>
> How do I manually set my PATH variable?
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Dave

Howdy,

Do you have a PATH set in a ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc
(I'm assuming you're using bash as your shell in Terminal)? How about
a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file that sets the PATH? I'm just
wondering if you've got something that is overriding the one set by /
etc/paths+/etc/paths.d/*. By the way do you have a file /etc/paths.d/
TeX?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)