[OS X TeX] Preview crashes when printing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 28 08:01:41 EDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Martin Berggren wrote:
> Preview crashes when I print the pdf file produced by pdflatexing
> the source
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \sffamily\bfseries hej
>
> \end{document}
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> According to the log-file, cm-super seems to be chosen in this case.
>
> No crash occurs if I comment out \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}  (which
> causes the Blue Sky fonts to be chosen) our put \usepackage{lmodern}
> (keeping the T1 encoding).
>
> Texlive 2007. Mac Leopard, Preview 4.1. Deleting the font cache
> (using Onyx) does not help.
>
> Weird, right?
>

> Martin Berggren

Howdy,

There is a known problem in the Leopard printing framework. I was
hoping it would be fixed in 10.5.2 but no such luck. There is a
temporary fix; you can print the file through the latest Adobe Reader
(I hate to say such things).

By the way, the type1 ``Blue Sky'' CM fonts are used by default. The
command

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

actually forces the use of the CM-Super fonts which are extensions of
the CM fonts. CM-Super has many accented characters built in rather
than constructed from parts.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)