[OS X TeX] Font to add to (pdf) TeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 1 04:34:57 EDT 2008

Le 1 mai 08 à 02:34, Louis S VanSlyck a écrit :

> My new problem is to get Old English Text MT to work in (pdf) TeX (I
> use the plain TeX, mode). I've had the font working for a couple
> years on a G4 in OS X 10.3, but I'm now running a MiniMac with OS X
> Leopard.
>
> On the G4, various files are subfolders of "Macintosh_HD/Library/
> teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts".
> For use, the font is defined by "\font\OldEng=moeb8r".
>
> This problem may be avoided if someone can tell me there's an Old
> English font already available in the MacTeX download. If not, I
> will need detailed assistance to move all the moeb8r related files
> to my MiniMac.

teTeX has been deprecated for some time now, and is replaced by
TeXLive. The easiest way to get TeXLive is through MacTeX at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/
 >.

In MacTeX, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local (aka /Library/teTeX/
share/texmf.local) is replaced by /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local (aka /
Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/TexmfLocal).

Inside this directory, font-related files should be placed as follows:

- .pfa or .pfb font files inside fonts/type1.

- .tfm metrics files inside fonts/tfm.

- .vf virtual font files inside fonts/vf.

- .map files (mapping information for pdfTeX, dvips and dvipdfm)
inside fonts/map.

- .fd and .sty LaTeX support files inside tex/latex.

- .tex plain TeX support files (if any) inside tex/plain.

- .afm metrics files (if any, optional) inside fonts/afm.

- documentation files (if any) inside doc/fonts, doc/latex and doc/
plain.

After installing these files:

- Run "sudo mktexlsr" (mktexlsr aka texhash).

- Assuming the associated .map file has name old-english-text-mt.map,
run "sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map old-english-tex-mt.map".

That said, this  way of proceeding is becoming a thing of the past.
Nowadays, a much easier way of using PostScript or TrueType or
OpenType fonts with TeX is provided by XeTeX at <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex
 >.

With XeTeX, using any font installed at the OS level (inside /Library/
Fonts for example) is as easy as, for LaTeX:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}
\setmainfont{Old English Text MT}
\begin{document}
Some text.
\end{document}

and for plain TeX:

%!TEX TS-program = xetex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\font\OldEng="Old English Text MT:mapping=tex-text"
Some text.
\bye

The first two lines are for TeXShop, telling to use xe(la)tex for
typesetting and UTF-8 encoding in the editor window.

XeTeX is included in TeXLive. However, it is in a current state of
mild flux: numerous bug fixes and improvements have been made since
the last official release (the one in TeXLive), but in order to get
them you need to compile XeTeX from source.

Hence, if you're happy with the version of XeTeX in TeXLive, there's
no reason to look beyond it. If you meet one of the bugs reported on
the XeTeX mailing list at <http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex>, then:

- Install Xcode from your Mac's or OS X's DVDs, in case you haven't
installed it already.

- Download the source tarball <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK.tar.gz
 >.

- Assuming it's been downloaded and extracted inside ~/Downloads/TRUNK
(if not, locate TRUNK.tar.gz and double-click it), then type in
Terminal:

	cd ~/Downloads/TRUNK
	sh build-xetex
	sudo sh install-xetex