[OS X TeX] Beamer problems - mktexmf?

Jo Willmott jcw25 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 6 13:54:43 EDT 2008

I have just set up a new Mac with MacTex 2007. I've previously been on
a PC, using MikTex. I've transferred across my files and am having
some problems. I've tried looking for answers but am not finding any,
so wonder if any of you can help.

The main problem has to do with Beamer. It is having difficulty with
various fonts, mainly large or italic Greek fonts and also certain
symbols (eg \XSolidBrush). It gives an output but either ignores these
or turns them into huge percentage signs.

I have found out I need the beamer patch ( texlive-2007-
beamerpatch.dmg  (2MB) ). I have downloaded this and installed it,
though I don't know that it has installed correctly. Anyway, my
problems persist.

As well as loads more errors in the log file than I got in MikTex, I
also get these messages while it's going:
	kpathsea: Running mktextfm gsmi1095

	mktextfm: No such file or directory kpathsea: Appending font creation
	commands to missfont.log.

	kpathsea: Running mktextfm gsmn0800

	mktextfm: No such file or directory

	kpathsea: Running mktextfm gsmc0800

	mktextfm: No such file or directory

	Process exited with error(s

I found this fix, but it seems only to apply to Windows users.
	The Windows TeX programs do not invoke mktexmf by default. Thus, for
instance, the lh 	fonts to support Cyrillic will not be found. One
workaround is to make these settings in your texmf.cnf (kpsewhich
texmf.cnf should find the file, and searching for MKTEXMF will find
the section; some commented-out assignments are present):

	MKTEXPK = 1
	MKTEXMF = 1
	MKTEXTFM = 1
	MKTEXFMT = 1

I searched for the file (texmf.cnf), but can't find it (using Terminal
locate).

Very sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I have spent some time
looking and am now getting close to a deadline with a presentation...
Very grateful for any help or advice.

Best wishes,
Jo