[OS X TeX] Mysterious behavior of Preview.app

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu May 15 05:58:02 EDT 2008

On  15 May, 2008, at 04:26, Andrew Francis wrote:

> I have had similar problems, with the wrong fonts used by preview
> and TeXshop viewer, but everything appearing correctly in Adobe
> Reader.  It seems that the font cache becomes corrupted somehow
> (apparently Adobe uses its own fonts).  This can be fixed by
> installing Onyx (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/
> 20070), and clearing the font cache with it.  This then requires a
> reboot.
>
> This corrects the problem on my machine, but unfortunately not
> permanently. My fonts seem to continue to become corrupted and I
> haven't yet figured out what process causes the corruption.

In this particular instance, I don't think that's the case, because
1) I'm using Tiger and 2) anyway I very recently cleaned the font
caches with FontNuke.

Also, at least in this case, we can't say Adobe is using ``its own
fonts'', because there is no Palatino in

/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd/Base/

or

/Applications/Adobe\ Reader\ 8/Adobe\ Reader.app/Contents/MacOS/
Resource/Font/

Best,

Axel