[OS X TeX] Mysterious behavior of Preview.app

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 15 06:20:30 EDT 2008

Le 15 mai 08 à 11:58, Axel E. Retif a écrit :

> On  15 May, 2008, at 04:26, Andrew Francis wrote:
>
>> I have had similar problems, with the wrong fonts used by preview
>> and TeXshop viewer, but everything appearing correctly in Adobe
>> Reader.  It seems that the font cache becomes corrupted somehow
>> (apparently Adobe uses its own fonts).  This can be fixed by
>> installing Onyx (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070
>> ), and clearing the font cache with it.  This then requires a reboot.
>
> Also, at least in this case, we can't say Adobe is using ``its own
> fonts'', because there is no Palatino in
>
> /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd/Base/
>
> or
>
> /Applications/Adobe\ Reader\ 8/Adobe\ Reader.app/Contents/MacOS/
> Resource/Font/

I had forgotten to check, but if you open all three files in Adobe
Reader/Acrobat and ask for File > Properties (Cmd-D) > Fonts, you'll
find out that:

- nfssfont-old.pdf and nfssfont-new-wo-cidmap.pdf use URWPalladioL-
Roma, namely the (PostScript) URW Palatino clone included in TeXLive.

- nfssfont-new-w-cidmap.pdf use Palatino-Roman, namely the (TrueType)
OS X Palatino.

Hence it seems it's the OS X version of Palatino that has a problem
with PDFKit when reencoded by dvipdfmx. Or maybe it's a problem of
TrueType vs. PostScript.

Bruno