[OS X TeX] 2nd Round of Newbie Questions

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Thu May 22 10:58:07 EDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Scott, Randy wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> Thanks to everyone who assisted with my first round of newbie
> questions; everything seems to be working just great.
>
> This morning I have two questions related to the document I'm
> working on.
>
> 1. I can't seem to find a line integral with the little arrowhead
> on the circle on the integral sign. This is certainly not critical
> (I don't think I've ever used it myself), but I wanted to show my
> students all the various notations. Is there such a symbol
> available? (OK, I know that last is a silly question--of course
> it's available somewhere!)
>
> 2. I am working on a short handout. How can I remove the page
> number and still retain the header and footer?
>
> Thanks ahead of time for your help!
>
> Randy Scott
> Santiago Canyon College
> Orange, CA

Hi,
to get acquainted with LaTeX, you may want to look at the following:
http://www.sitmo.com/latex/

It's an online equation editor where you can enter maths either via a
symbol palette or by typing LaTeX commands. The answer to your
question (\oint) is right there.
The output is a bitmap image of your equation, which is a really neat
service, e.g., for putting maths into emails etc.

In Firefox, this is especially nice when you combine it with Google's
presentation software. If the two are running in separate windows
side by side, you can _drag_ the equation image
  directly from the editor into the presentation.

Jens