[inbox] Re: [OS X TeX] OT: OS X 10.5.3

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Thu May 29 12:24:06 EDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 7:43 AM, pacotomi wrote:

> Le 28 mai 08 à 21:33, François Chaplais a écrit :
>

>> I would appreciate as much feedback on this as (personnally) this
>> issue is the only one that keeps me from switching to leopard...
>>

> Feedback on what ? xpdf or the bug ?
> I currently use Fourier. The small caps crashed preview, skim etc.
> (except Adobe Acrobat).  With 10.5.3 all is fine (viewing and
> printing).
>
> pacotomi

Hi,
within an hour after upgrading to 10.5.3, I've had a problem
involving Preview. A PDF file downloaded from the web initially
displayed correctly, and while it was still open I did various things
in Bibdesk and Spotlight in quick succession. Suddenly the Finder
window containing my Spotlight Search froze, the Preview file I had
been reading had all its fonts corrupted, and I couldn't open any new
Finder windows. I re-launched the Finder and re-opened the PDF in
Preview, and everything was back to normal. Since I was doing so many
things rather quickly, I wasn't able to reproduce the exact steps
that led to this problem (don't know what happened first, the Finder
freezing or Preview acting up), but it definitely went hand in hand
with Preview garbling fonts. I'm unable to give any explanation, just
wanted to let you know - this is on an eight-core Mac from early 2008
that never had anything but Leopard installed.

And of course, the problem with Preview's copying of PDF selections
is still there after the update: cropped parts are not hidden when
pasting into iWork applications, I still have a need for the script I
posted a few weeks ago at
http://www.uoregon.edu/~noeckel/PreviewLeopard.html

Jens