[inbox] Re: [OS X TeX] OT: OS X 10.5.3

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu May 29 13:14:41 EDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

> Hi,
> within an hour after upgrading to 10.5.3, I've had a problem
> involving Preview. A PDF file downloaded from the web initially
> displayed correctly, and while it was still open I did various
> things in Bibdesk and Spotlight in quick succession. Suddenly the
> Finder window containing my Spotlight Search froze, the Preview file
> I had been reading had all its fonts corrupted, and I couldn't open
> any new Finder windows. I re-launched the Finder and re-opened the
> PDF in Preview, and everything was back to normal. Since I was doing
> so many things rather quickly, I wasn't able to reproduce the exact
> steps that led to this problem (don't know what happened first, the
> Finder freezing or Preview acting up), but it definitely went hand
> in hand with Preview garbling fonts. I'm unable to give any
> explanation, just wanted to let you know - this is on an eight-core
> Mac from early 2008 that never had anything but Leopard installed.
>
> And of course, the problem with Preview's copying of PDF selections
> is still there after the update: cropped parts are not hidden when
> pasting into iWork applications, I still have a need for the script
> I posted a few weeks ago at
> http://www.uoregon.edu/~noeckel/PreviewLeopard.html
>
> Jens

Howdy,

This sounds like a Font Cache problem. Download Onyx 1.95 (or 1.96beta
if your adventurous) from <http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html
 > and use its Font Cache Cleaner feature. You may have to reboot.

Let us know if that fixes things and if it comes back.

Do you run any haxies, etc? I haven't had much trouble with Font Cache
corruption but there have been a few folks that have repeating problems.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)