[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Nov 6 19:35:10 EST 2008

Hello,

I am using TeXshop 2.18 under OS X 10.4.11 on a Powerbook at 1.5 GHz
with 1 Gb of ram. I have been using TeXshop since it came out 7+
years ago and have recently been writing a book.  I love the program
and finally started trying to use some of its nicer features, like
synchronization (which I loved on TeXtures).

My problem is the frequent, seemingly random,  jumps of the preview
window immediately after typesetting (using pdfLatex).  It will jump
up to several pages from the place being viewed, forcing me to move
back. It does this whether I am in page mode or continuously
scrolling. The behavior takes a significant chunk out of my time and
focus on the material and is frankly very annoying. This has always
been a problem with TeXshop and I am finally motivated to find a fix,
it it exists. Is there any fix?

One other question. I realize that I am not running the latest and
fastest computer (and I have no plans to upgrade), but typesetting
can be very slow. For a number of reasons, I typeset the entire book
every time (about 200 pages at present - lots of equations and pdf
figures); I realize that this is not necessarily the best strategy.
I have a linux system (a Playstation 3, of all things) and it is much
faster typesetting using pdftex in Kile (it should be a bit slower,
from processor comparisons). Can one put the fonts into a cache or
ram disk to speed things up?

Thanks very much.

Warren Nagourney