[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 21:10:56 EST 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Warren Nagourney wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using TeXshop 2.18 under OS X 10.4.11 on a Powerbook at 1.5
> GHz with 1 Gb of ram. I have been using TeXshop since it came out 7
> + years ago and have recently been writing a book.  I love the
> program and finally started trying to use some of its nicer
> features, like synchronization (which I loved on TeXtures).
>
> My problem is the frequent, seemingly random,  jumps of the preview
> window immediately after typesetting (using pdfLatex).  It will
> jump up to several pages from the place being viewed, forcing me to
> move back. It does this whether I am in page mode or continuously
> scrolling. The behavior takes a significant chunk out of my time
> and focus on the material and is frankly very annoying. This has
> always been a problem with TeXshop and I am finally motivated to
> find a fix, it it exists. Is there any fix?
>
> One other question. I realize that I am not running the latest and
> fastest computer (and I have no plans to upgrade), but typesetting
> can be very slow. For a number of reasons, I typeset the entire
> book every time (about 200 pages at present - lots of equations and
> pdf figures); I realize that this is not necessarily the best
> strategy.

I am in a similar situation (10.4.11 on a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4) and
a 400 page book with lots of graphics etc.)

My "strategy" is:
— to have each chapter, say, chapter 13 into a separate EDIT file in
a folder ChapterEDIT starting with
%!TEX root = ../ChaptersPRINT/13.tex

— and a PRINT file, 13 in the ChaptersPRINT folder, which consists
just of:
\documentclass[11pt]{book}
\usepackage ……
					\addtocounter{page}{254}
					\addtocounter{chapter}{12}
	\include{../ChaptersEDIT/\finkfilese}
\end{document}

where \finkfilese automagically picks up the file number, here 13.

So, if I hit Typeset on the EDITfile 13, it calls PRINTfile 13 which
then typesets EDITfile 13.

Of course, I also have a master file where all the chapters are
included and when I typeset it I get the whole book. I can then read
the number of the first page in each chapter and insert it in the
corresponding \addtocounter{page} but I find that I don't do that
often at all.

Not exactly what you asked but then I can't get to borrow my
grandsons' playstation.

Regards
--schremmer