[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 10 13:18:53 EST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 10:34 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> On 10 nov 2008, at 16:47, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> I have a PowerPC G4 (2.1) with "Memory: 768 MB" (I assume this is
>>> the RAM), Do you think increasing the RAM would also do for me?
>>
>> Memory will improve a lot of things on Mac OS X, and in fact all
>> computers (Windows and Unix-like systems). Personally I don't want
>> to use systems with less than 1 GB of memory, and prefer systems
>> with 2 GB or more (have 4  GB at home).
>
> Back in the old days, I kept increasing the RAM to capacity but I
> had assumed that since my own needs hadn't gone up, the out of the
> box memory would be enough to make up for LaTeX's increased needs.
>
>> On the other hand: with a G4, you're likely to hit other barriers
>> on the speed front. "2.1" doesn't mean anything to me, as the G4
>> never was produced at speeds exceeding 1.5 GHz, are you perhaps
>> talking about a G5? In the latter case: increase the RAM, to at
>> least 2 GB.
>
> As weird as it might appear in the XXI st century, I am still using
> a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 (as in 4 in hand) 1MB L3 cache 768 MB DDR
> SDRAM
>
> Here is the "Hardware Overwiew":
>
> Machine Name:	Power Mac G4
> Machine Model:	PowerMac3,6
> CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (2.1)
> Number Of CPUs:	2
> CPU Speed:	1 GHz
> L2 Cache (per CPU):	256 KB
> L3 Cache (per CPU):	1 MB
> Memory:	768 MB
> Bus Speed:	167 MHz
> Boot ROM Version:	4.4.8f2
> Serial Number:	XB2352EYMMA
> Sales Order Number:	M8689LL/A
>
> From what you are saying, I gather that there is not much point in
> increasing the memory. But then  my brain is matched to this machine
> anyhow.
>
> Grateful regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Three words... Get More RAM! I'm not sure what the maximum RAM is for
your machine but I'd add at least 1GB and 2GB, if possible, would be
even better. Just make sure you're getting RAM for your machine. There
are several good sources for RAM and it gives you the best bang for
the buck. You will be amazed at the speed increase simply because the
OS won't have to continuously swap to the hard drive.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)