[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 11:34:48 EST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 10 nov 2008, at 16:47, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> I have a PowerPC G4 (2.1) with "Memory: 768 MB" (I assume this is
>> the RAM), Do you think increasing the RAM would also do for me?
>
> Memory will improve a lot of things on Mac OS X, and in fact all
> computers (Windows and Unix-like systems). Personally I don't want
> to use systems with less than 1 GB of memory, and prefer systems
> with 2 GB or more (have 4  GB at home).

Back in the old days, I kept increasing the RAM to capacity but I had
assumed that since my own needs hadn't gone up, the out of the box
memory would be enough to make up for LaTeX's increased needs.

> On the other hand: with a G4, you're likely to hit other barriers
> on the speed front. "2.1" doesn't mean anything to me, as the G4
> never was produced at speeds exceeding 1.5 GHz, are you perhaps
> talking about a G5? In the latter case: increase the RAM, to at
> least 2 GB.

As weird as it might appear in the XXI st century, I am still using a
Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 (as in 4 in hand) 1MB L3 cache 768 MB DDR SDRAM

Here is the "Hardware Overwiew":

Machine Name:	Power Mac G4
Machine Model:	PowerMac3,6
CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (2.1)
Number Of CPUs:	2
CPU Speed:	1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):	256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU):	1 MB
Memory:	768 MB
Bus Speed:	167 MHz
Boot ROM Version:	4.4.8f2
Serial Number:	XB2352EYMMA
Sales Order Number:	M8689LL/A

 From what you are saying, I gather that there is not much point in
increasing the memory. But then  my brain is matched to this machine
anyhow.

Grateful regards
--schremmer