[OS X TeX] bibtex8 engine and %!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Nov 12 08:10:48 EST 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 4:46 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as we know if you put this line on top of your TeXShop document it
> will trigger the XeLaTeX engine on Cmd-T
> 	%!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
>
> Running bibtex by manually choosing it in the engines' drop-down
> menu and clicking Typeset works and will call bibtex
> However, I want to run Bibtex8 and have thus created a bibtex8
> engine looking like this (set this up with the help of this list,
> thanks again)
> 	#!/bin/bash
>
> 	export PATH="$PATH:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin"
> 	bibtex8 --wolfgang "$(basename -s .tex $1).aux"
>
> Problem is that with the TS-program defined as written above my
> bibtex8 engine stopped working and it is overridden by the TS-
> program setting. As I said, this will not happen with normal bibtex.
> How should I modify my bibtex8 engine in order for it to work
> regardless of the TS-program definition?
>
> TIA,
>
> Alex

Howdy,

I prefer using latexmk (the xelatexmk engine) since it takes care of
all of the necessary processing and re-processing. By default it would
use bibtex for bibliography processing so you've got to make another
engine and rc file.

Duplicate the ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/xelatexmkrc file and call it,
e.g., xelatex8mkrc. Add the line

$bibtex = "bibtex8 --wolfgang %O %S"

just under the definition of $pdflatex in that file. That tells
latexmk to use bibtex8 for processing bibliographies.

Now you've got to create an engine that uses that rc file. Duplicate
(important to preserve the execute permissions) ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines/xelatexmk.engine file and rename it xelatex8mk.engine. Open
that engine file in TeXShop by double clicking it. Then change the
name of the rc file in the latexmk line from xelatexmkrc to
xelatex8mkrc and save it.

Placing the line

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex8mk

at the top of the file will then use that engine.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)