[OS X TeX] Re: supertabular

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Tue Oct 14 17:25:38 EDT 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:00 PM, in MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 12, Issue 14,

and also "Dan Roscigno" <dan.roscigno at gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is the example you are talking about:
>
> \begin{center}
> \tablefirsthead{%
> \hline
> \multicolumn{1}{|c}{\tbsp Number} &
> \multicolumn{1}{c}{Number$^2$} &
> Number$^4$ &
> \multicolumn{1}{c|}{Number!} \\
> \hline}
> \tablehead{%
> \hline
> \multicolumn{4}{|l|}{\small\sl continued from previous page}\\
> \hline
> \multicolumn{1}{|c}{\tbsp Number} &
> \multicolumn{1}{c}{Number$^2$} &
> Number$^4$ &
> \multicolumn{1}{c|}{Number!} \\
> \hline}
> \tabletail{%
> \hline
> \multicolumn{4}{|r|}{\small\sl continued on next page}\\
> \hline}
> \tablelasttail{\hline}
> \bottomcaption{This table is split across pages}
> \begin{supertabular}{|r@{\hspace{6.5mm}}|r@{\hspace{5.5mm}}|r|r|}
> 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
> 2 & 4 & 16 & 2 \\
> 3 & 9 & 81 & 6 \\
> 4 & 16 & 256 & 24 \\[5mm]
> 19 & 361 & 130321 & 1.21645100E+17\\
> 20 & 400 & 160000 & 2.43290200E+18\\
> \end{supertabular}
> \end{center}
>
> All I did was wrap it in a:
>
> \documentclass[11pt,letterpaper]{article}
> \usepackage{supertabular}
> \newcommand{\tbsp}{\rule{0pt}{18pt}}
> \begin{document}
> .
> .
> .
> \end{document}

Dear Herb and Dan,

Thanks for your replies.  Dan, yes, that's the example; however, my
preamble includes the following:

\documentclass[11pt]{amsbook}
\usepackage[timestamp]{draftcopy}
\usepackage[]{amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage[]{graphicx}
\usepackage[raggedright]{subfigure}
\usepackage[]{array}
\usepackage[]{CJK}    % for Chinese characters
\usepackage[]{cancel}    % use $\cancel{...}$ to cross off a term
\usepackage[]{url}
\usepackage[]{hieroglf}    % for Egyptian hieroglyph
\usepackage[]{oldprsn}    % for Old Persian cuneiform
\usepackage[]{arydshln}  % for dashed lines in tabular
\usepackage[]{interitemtext}
\usepackage[]{multicol}    % for multicols in enumerate environ
\usepackage{rotate}
\usepackage{supertabular}
\newcommand{\tbsp}{\rule{0pt}{18pt}}
\begin{document}

Thanks to your encouragement, I did a little testing, and it seems
that the culprit is arydshln.sty.  If you would, please add
\usepackage{arydshln} and typeset, and tell me if you also get
rubbish.  And if you do, what do you suggest I do?  Is there another
package besides arydshln that will allow dashed lines in tabular?  TIA.

---John.
(who receives the digest for this list)