[OS X TeX] Please help clarify updmap versus updmap-sys issues.

Gary Church gary.church1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 21:31:55 EDT 2008

Hello all (again),

In trying to resolve the "fontmap entry for ... already exists,
duplicates ignored" issue (mentioned in previous pleas to the list),
I've come across another problem. I've been using:

sudo updmap --disable *.map
sudo updmap --enable Map *.map

to try enabling and disabling various map files along with the "sys"
varieties:

sudo updmap-sys --disable *.map
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map *.map

As I understand it, the "non-sys" version affects the updmap.cfg file
in ~/.texlive2008/texmf-config/web2c/
while the "sys" version affects the updmap.cfg file in /usr/local/
texlive/2008/texmf-config/web2c/
(or is it the one in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg/
or the one in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg/)?

(Why so many updmap.cfg files?)

Anyway, which updmap.cfg file should I be using? Is there a way of
forcing use of the one in ~/.texlive2008/... or in /usr/local/...?
This is all very confusing.
When I enter "kpsewhich updmap.cfg", I get the ~/.texlive2008/...
updmap.cfg

Finally, as a side issue, while trying various incantations of updmap,
updmap-sys with either --enable or --disable, I would sometimes get a
"updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be
recreated." message. Is there a way to force creation of map files?

Thanks again for all your sage advice.

Gary Church
gary.church1 at comcast.net