[OS X TeX] Please help clarify updmap versus updmap-sys issues.

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Oct 22 04:42:17 EDT 2008

Am 22.10.2008 um 03:31 schrieb Gary Church:

> sudo updmap --disable *.map
> sudo updmap --enable Map *.map

Completely wrong.

> As I understand it, the "non-sys" version affects the updmap.cfg
> file in ~/.texlive2008/texmf-config/web2c/
> while the "sys" version affects the updmap.cfg file in /usr/local/
> texlive/2008/texmf-config/web2c/
> (or is it the one in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg/
> or the one in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg/)?

It's the latter.

> (Why so many updmap.cfg files?)

Service!

> Anyway, which updmap.cfg file should I be using? Is there a way of
> forcing use of the one in ~/.texlive2008/... or in /usr/local/...?

None! You should use either updmap or sudo updmap-sys.

> Finally, as a side issue, while trying various incantations of
> updmap, updmap-sys with either --enable or --disable, I would
> sometimes get a "updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map
> files will not be recreated." message. Is there a way to force
> creation of map files?

Why do you want to force a no-change?

--
Greetings

   Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.