[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008; download sites and some answers

N Shah pony777 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:00:34 EDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Given that I use other parts of ImageMagick besides 'convert' and
that MacTeX 2008 (and, presumably 2009 going foward) don't include
those pieces, I've decided to install ImageMagick via MacPorts.  This
is all well and good, MacTex need not install every useful but not
TeX related piece of software.

When I do install MacTeX 2008 in a few days time it will not, as Dr.
Koch pointed out, replace the existing (MacTeX 2007) installation of
ImageMagick (or will it?).  Rather it will (I think) simply replace
'convert' with the statically linked binary referred to in the
release notes.

My question therefore is how do I uninstall the MacTeX 2007
ImageMagick so that it won't conflict with my soon-to-be-installed
MacPorts copy.  Normally, I'm able to figure out how to uninstall
stuff but ImageMagick with its many bits and pieces spread out over
many directories seems to a bit of a mystery.

Uninstallation of unix software on my Mac has always perplexed me.
General guidance in that regard would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

  - Nirav