[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008 Status

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Sep 3 04:01:46 EDT 2008

Le 3 sept. 08 à 06:55, Richard Koch a écrit :

> I don't know anything about BitTorrent, so asking me questions is
> hopeless. If you don't know BitTorrent, but go to the site hoping to
> find a standard download button, you'll be disappointed.  And be
> prepared to look at some risqué ads.

 From what I read, BitTorrent means that, while you are downloading
some stuff from a BitTorrent server, your computer is turned itself
into a server through which other computers are downloading the same
stuff. In other words, you get what you asked for, but you contribute
something in return.

I can't put my hands on it, but I remember vaguely reading directives
from university computing services prohibiting BitTorrent traffic, or
at least recommending strongly against it, since this means in effect
handing over university computing resources to third parties (ie
donating university resources to third parties, even if only
temporarily). Or maybe it was just a system administrator advising
against BitTorrent in a conversation, I'm not sure.

In any case, I don't like the idea of traffic going through my
computer without myself knowing what goes through and where, so I
won't be using BitTorrent.

Bruno Voisin