[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008 Status

Peder Axensten peder at axensten.se
Wed Sep 3 04:15:58 EDT 2008

The point of torrents is that the "server" is distributed to the
clients. The price for a handy download is that you also contribute as
a server. The "socially accepted" is to allow twice as much upload as
the amount you downloaded. If nobody allows uploads, there is nowhere
to download from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

A very nice client for MacOS X is Transmission. Be sure to use a
recent version (present version is 1.33), since early versions
contained a bug that affected big files.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19378/transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client

BitTorrents seem to be associated with pirate copy distribution, but
it is a very efficient protocol for distributing large files to many
clients.

Hälsar,
/Peder