[OS X TeX] xelatexmk and fontspec

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Sep 7 13:00:35 EDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Sep 7, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Sam Cox wrote:
>>
>>> There was no xelatex-xdv2pdf.engine so I did as you suggested,
>>> restarting TeXShop etc.  Now xelatex-xdv2pdf.engine is in ~/
>>> Library/TeXShop/Engines.  The first line in the file cv-test.tex is
>>>
>>> %%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdv2pdf
>>>
>>> Now it does not process at all.  I get this single line in the
>>> console:
>>>
>>> Unmatched `.
>>>

>>> I am really puzzled.  I guess there is some simple explanation but
>>> I do not see it.  Also will this engine process both citation lists?
>>>
>>> Sam
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> This engine will not run bibtex at all so it depends upon what you
>> mean by ``process both citation lists.''
>>
>> Could you provide a minimal example of a file that you want to
>> process that shows the problems you've described? There seem to be
>> multiple things going on.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Sigh... I went back to your original post, changed the fonts used (I
> don't have the Fontina fonts) and, of course, changed the
> bibliography citations and bib file name. It all compiles fine here
> with
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
>
> and all files are automatically processed. So... now we have to
> figure out what is going on on your system.
>
> Now that you've got a new Engines folder you'll have to activate the
> xelatexmk engine by moving the latexmk engine files from ~/Library/
> TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ up to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
> and restart TeXShop.
>
> Try using other fonts at first (Hoefler Text is an ok roman font,
> Optima for sans and Monaco for monospaced) and let's see what happens.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Howdy,

Specifically use

\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont{Hoefler Text}
\setsansfont{Optima}
\setmonofont{Monaco}

for the Fonts section of your preamble. This is not meant to look good
but rather to standardize on fonts that I know work at this end.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)