[OS X TeX] TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Nathaniel Pearson nathaniel.pearson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:45:45 EDT 2008

I've been using TexShop with few problems until yesterday, when I opened the
program for the first time in roughly a week, and tried to typeset the file
that I've been working on.  I got the following abortive log output:

This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
/usr/texbin/mktexfmt: line 336: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

My computer does indeed have several copies of the fmtutil.cnf file,
specifically in directories: /sw/share/man/man5, /sw/share/texmf/web2c,
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c, etc.

Likewise it has copies of 'the' pdflatex.fmt file, specifically in the
/.texmf-var/wb2c, /sw/var/lib/texmf/web2c, and
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/ directories. I've run updatedb (for
whatever that might be worth), but that didn't help.

Any ideas on steps to take to solve this little problem?