[OS X TeX] FlashMode, Up Close and Personal, TeX plug-in

Arthur Ogawa arthur_ogawa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 12 20:06:01 EDT 2008

I must applaud the development of FlashMode (I simply loved Textures
when I could still use it.)

Is anyone thinking about how texd might fit into this picture? The TeX
Daemon is a really powerful concept.

One of the great things about Tom Rokicki's TeX previewer for NeXTStep
was its ability to give you the preview of a page before TeX had
finished typesetting the entire file. Is anyone thinking about how
this might be done today?

Is anyone thinking about the Other Great Thing that Textures did?
(Blue Sky called it "Up Close and Personal".) When you would click in
the preview window, you were immediately taken to the corresponding
place in your source (which was a different window, you understand),
and vice versa. I know how it was done, and I wonder if it can be
reproduced under Mac OS X.

The only remaining thing would be the ability to have TeX manage a
portion of a window for another application. This is the basis of Blue
Sky's Quark XPress plug-in and its InDesign plug-in. This embedding
technique harkens back to SmallTalk and was implemented by Microsoft
as DDE (?), later renamed ActiveX, I think. Apple had its own stab at
the concept, calling it OpenDoc.

Embedding would require a document architecture that would accommodate
message passing between the application managing the document and the
application managing the document portion. Perhaps this architecture
already exists (based on Mach, I would guess), perhaps it does not.
But Microsoft Windows has embedding working (since more than 10 years
ago) in applications like Word, using Design Science MathType to
handle math. Very slick.

Arthur Ogawa