[OS X TeX] Solution to LaTeXit and MacTeX 2008 problem

Todd Hufnagel hufnagel at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 19 15:52:29 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who replied to my post regarding blank output from
LaTeXit. With offline help from Dick Koch, I discovered that the
problem was with a custom .profile file I had created back when I
upgraded to Leopard, which introduced a new method (path_helper) for
dealing with paths. The upgrade confused LaTeXit, so based on a
helpful hint (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071029190900872
) I had modified .profile to go back to the old way (through the PATH
variable). This change was apparently confusing the beta version of
LaTeXit included in the MacTeX 2008 distribution.

I disabled the custom .profile, and now all is well - LaTeXit works
just fine. Thanks again to Dick for his help, and to those who gave
other suggestions.

Regards,

Todd

-----