[OS X TeX] Using texindy for French

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Mon Apr 13 21:26:03 EDT 2009

Le 13 avr. 09 à 18:01, Frank STENGEL a écrit :

> Le 13 avr. 09 à 17:03, André Bellaïche a écrit :
>
>> Has anybody on this list tried to compile a French index with
>> texindy ?
>>
>> The main problem is the slimness of the documentation : 5 pages for
>> texindy, 3 for xindy. Si I could not fien the answers to the
>> following questions:
>
> Did you try looking at http://xindy.sourceforge.net/
> documentation.html ?
> --
> Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)

Thank you.

I had seen some of these files since they belong to the MacTeX
distribution. All the files describe either how xindy was designed, or
how one can write new modules.

But I am definitely not interested in learning the history of xindy,
or learning a new programming language: I was asked to finish this
index this afternoon (I mean yesterday, since it is 3:24 a.m. in
Paris), and I guess the easier way now is to make it on an old imac
running Mac-MakeIndex v. 2.12 under Mac OS 9. There is some end-of-
line stuff to fix, but nothing really difficult.

In fact, I suppose the answer to my questions are too evident for the
authors of these docs to think of them.

The 1st one is: Which command-line must I use to tell texindy to
compile a file foo.idx into foo.ind, knowing that foo.ind is written
in French, and encoded in applemac?

I have made many tries, and the words beginning with an é are always
classified before a, b, c . . .

The 2nd one (less important) is: How can one tell the command texindy
to use the texindy.xdy file that I have modified and included in the
current directory, rather than the standard one.

André