[OS X TeX] TeX on Snow Leopard

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Aug 29 12:47:25 EDT 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Hmmm... depends on how you count.
>
> That's what I thought. What's Snow? 10.5.9?

Howdy,

See below...

>> I seem to remember that you're using a G5 system
>
> What a memory!

Right now my MacBook Pro is at Apple getting some repairs so I'm using
an older PowerBook with a G4 processor. With the introduction of Snow
Leopard I'll be running 3 OS versions: Tiger (10.4.11) on an old
TiBook G4 that is too slow, etc., to run Leopard; Leopard (10.5.8) on
this ``old'' PowerBook G4 since Snow Leopard (10.6) is Intel only; and
Snow Leopard (10.6) on my wife's MacBook and once my MacBook Pro comes
back from Apple (you'd be amazed at the speed increase over your G5
system). I still use them all---thank goodness my PowerBook is kept up
to date since I've been able to use it to update MacTeXtras, etc.,
while the MacBook Pro is away.

>> so OS X 10.5.8 (maybe some more updates will be coming?) will be as
>> far as you can go; OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is Intel only.
>
> Saved! I am saved! At least for a good long time.

Does that mean you won't bother updating?

>> On the other hand you should update since future software may be
>> for 10.5+ only.
>
> Well yeah, but there is always that truck that may run me over
> before that.

Using that argument you should still be using pencil and paper (not
one of those new fangled fountain pens) instead of a computer.

>> Best advice on updating is to always make a bootable backup of my
>> complete system in case there are problems; I use the shareware
>> SuperDuper! (it's worth the ~$28 to get the update features) but
>> Carbon Copy Cloner (contribution requested) can be used too. A nice
>> big external hard drive is fairly cheap and it can be partitioned
>> so you can keep a permanent 10.4.11 backup and use a different
>> partition for new updates.
>
> I do make bootable backups on a 900 GigaB external with Carbon Copy
> Cloner—and I think I did send in my contribution but I have to
> check. So that should not be a problem although I forgot to
> partition the external.

Always a smart thing! It has saved me more than once. It's also nice
when I want to run DiskWarrior, etc., on my internal drive; just boot
from the external and run it on the internal drive.

>> As far as MacTeX is concerned... you can install MacTeX-2008
>
> Would you believe I did install TeXLive-2008 and TeXLive-2008-Basic
> together with the TeX Distribution System Preference Pane and
> actually used both? But then I ran into the "can't write onto aux
> file" problem I had already run into once but had forgotten how to
> cure it via the unmentionable. So, I happily reverted to good old
> GwTeX.

I don't remember reading about this problem.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)