[OS X TeX] TeX on Snow Leopard

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 14:59:43 EDT 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Right now my MacBook Pro is at Apple getting some repairs so I'm
> using an older PowerBook with a G4 processor. With the introduction
> of Snow Leopard I'll be running 3 OS versions: Tiger (10.4.11) on
> an old TiBook G4 that is too slow, etc., to run Leopard; Leopard
> (10.5.8) on this ``old'' PowerBook G4 since Snow Leopard (10.6) is
> Intel only; and Snow Leopard (10.6) on my wife's MacBook and once
> my MacBook Pro comes back from Apple (you'd be amazed at the speed
> increase over your G5 system)

I hate to disillusion you but my Mac is a G4 on 10.4.11 and my
PowerBook a G3 on 10.3.9.

> Does that mean you won't bother updating?

Unfortunately I will have to but I will probably update the G4 to the
last system it can take and keep TeXLive-2008.

>>> On the other hand you should update since future software may be
>>> for 10.5+ only.
>>
>> Well yeah, but there is always that truck that may run me over
>> before that.
>
> Using that argument you should still be using pencil and paper (not
> one of those new fangled fountain pens) instead of a computer.

Well, in the 1960s and 1970s, I wrote hundreds of pages with a
pencil. That was no problem but then I had to edit the typescript
with whiteout and rubber cement and that was no fun at all.

>> But then I ran into the "can't write onto aux file" problem I had
>> already run into once but had forgotten how to cure it via the
>> unmentionable. So, I happily reverted to good old GwTeX.
>
> I don't remember reading about this problem.

It's on the list, Voisin helped me at the time but. later, it was
easier just to revert.

> Good Luck,

Hate to need it.

Grateful regards