[OS X TeX] 64-bit binaries in TeXLive 2010

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 3 15:42:04 EST 2009

Since the speed improvement of the 64-bit binaries is clearly noticeable, e.g., using Flashmode, let me suggest to include OS X 64-bit binaries in TL 2010 as a standard option known by install-tl as well as by texlive manager.

To relieve the burden of compiling additional binaries from Richard Koch let me also suggest, at least tentatively, that the TeXLive support  for ppc should be frozen to TL 2009. The PowerPCs which are still in use are clearly outdated by any measure and there is no point to develop software for machines and OS that are a few generations behind, especially since TL 2009 should be more than sufficient for texing.

This is a realistic view and those who are still using a PPC let me advice, if you ever had tried a new IntelMac you wouldn't want to switch back to your PPC.

Claus