[OS X TeX] fontenc documentation...

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Mon Feb 2 02:01:51 EST 2009

Herbert,

Thank you very much for your input.

I understand the character set/encoding issue (independantly of TeX)
and I understand the font issues in LaTeX. Well, I think I am starting
to do.

Now, let me reword my earlier question by showing you the following 3
documents:

Environment: Texshop 2.20, LaTeX (MacTeX 2008)
document saved in Western Latin-1

1) no preamble at all
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
all\'ee
allée
\end{document}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

displays: [allée alle]

-> can't interpret the Latin-1 character "é"

That was expected, but I am suprised to see that "\'e" is correctly
interpreted because as you wrote, and as the FAQ at:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=why-inp-font
says, the fontenc package, T1 option, is supposedly required to
properly interpret such sequences.

2) inputenc "latin1" added to the first document
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
all\'ee
allée
\end{document}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

displays: [allée allée]

-> properly inteprets both the "\'e" and the "é" characters

Here again, no fontenc package but the sequence "\'e" is properly
interpreted.

3) fontenc "T1" added to the first document
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
all\'ee
allée
\end{document}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

displays: [allée allée]

-> properly inteprets both the "\'e" and the "é" characters

Here, fontenc would be expected to correctly intepret the "\'e"
sequence but since there are no indications that the file is saved in
Western Latin-1, I am surprised that the "é" is properly interpreted
since the file is supposed to be "expected" in ascii by default as in
the first document above...

Now, if you can give me explanations (and links to the documentation,
that I still can't find in MacTex), that would greatly help my
understanding !

Jean-Christophe Helary