[OS X TeX] fontenc documentation...

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Mon Feb 2 02:14:14 EST 2009

Le 02-févr.-09 à 08:01, Jean-Christophe Helary a écrit :

> Herbert,
>
> Thank you very much for your input.
>
> I understand the character set/encoding issue (independantly of
> TeX) and I understand the font issues in LaTeX. Well, I think I am
> starting to do.
>
> Now, let me reword my earlier question by showing you the following
> 3 documents:
>

> Environment: Texshop 2.20, LaTeX (MacTeX 2008)
> document saved in Western Latin-1
>

> 1) no preamble at all
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> all\'ee
> allée
> \end{document}
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> displays: [allée alle]
>
> -> can't interpret the Latin-1 character "é"
>
> That was expected, but I am suprised to see that "\'e" is correctly
> interpreted because as you wrote, and as the FAQ at:
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=why-inp-font
> says, the fontenc package, T1 option, is supposedly required to
> properly interpret such sequences.
>

> 2) inputenc "latin1" added to the first document
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> \begin{document}
> all\'ee
> allée
> \end{document}
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> displays: [allée allée]
>
> -> properly inteprets both the "\'e" and the "é" characters
>
> Here again, no fontenc package but the sequence "\'e" is properly
> interpreted.
>

> 3) fontenc "T1" added to the first document
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \begin{document}
> all\'ee
> allée
> \end{document}
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> displays: [allée allée]
>
> -> properly inteprets both the "\'e" and the "é" characters
>
> Here, fontenc would be expected to correctly intepret the "\'e"
> sequence but since there are no indications that the file is saved
> in Western Latin-1, I am surprised that the "é" is properly
> interpreted since the file is supposed to be "expected" in ascii by
> default as in the first document above...
>

> Now, if you can give me explanations (and links to the
> documentation, that I still can't find in MacTex), that would
> greatly help my understanding !
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary

Latin 1 and T1 are two very close encodings, but they differ on some
characters. Try to compile (with encoding latin1):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
Lettre ß .Voilà : « une citation » à L'haÿ-les-Roses.
\end{document}

And see the problems ;-)

See this thread on fr.comp.text.tex and the explanations by Manuel
Pégourié-Gonard (message 8) here:
http://groups.google.com/group/fr.comp.text.tex/browse_frm/thread/
aea97a62a46e812b/a410ed273e1ebed5?
hl=en&lnk=gst&q=latin1#a410ed273e1ebed5