[OS X TeX] NASA, Word, TeX and PowerPoint

steve kolars bkfuth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:36:52 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Alain Schremmer
<schremmer.alain at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Rene Borgella wrote:
>
>  1) presentations should focus on Visuals, NOT text
>>

> Particularly as 99.99% of the presenters cannot help but read the text.
>
> I always wanted, but never dared, to raise my hand, and say the obvious:":
> :Excuse me, but, even before I was in first grade, I could already read."
>
>  4)  Tufte argues that we are asking too much of our audiences if we want
>> them to listen to us, read the text, and look at the visuals simultaneously,
>> all while thinking about the ideas we are presenting
>>

> Absolutely! I am writing the magnum opus in such a way that students don't
> have to take notes. Well, they have been so well trained that it is quite a
> battle to get them not to take notes. I think they feel naked.

I have been following this thread with interest.  Everyone has raised some
very good points.  I teach at a Junior College with an enrollment of 22,000
credit students per semester.  I refuse to do a presentation with
Powerpoint(c).  In the past fifteen years I have given one presentation with
Impress (sorry--the situation demanded it).  Fortunately I am in a situation
where I can get away without the x#$o&* slides.

With your statement "it is quite a battle to get them not to take notes" I
could no longer lurk in the shadows.  Please, lets trade students (please,
please, please).  I would love students that "feel naked" when they do not
take notes.  Please do not misunderstand--all of your comments are great;
but, I would love to have students that take good notes (he he).

Steve