[OS X TeX] Lucida again

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 11 13:19:56 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> What is going on that you keep on having to re-install your system?
>
> You really need to get an external HD and use it to make a bootable
> clone of your internal HD using something like SuperDuper!
> (wonderful program). Once you have a bootable clone (which you
> update every once in a while --- while the initial copy takes quite
> a while the update doesn't take very long) you can boot from it
> (hold the Opt key when you boot until you see a list of bootable
> HDs), format the internal HD and the run SuperDuper! back the other
> way.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I want to second Herb's recommendation for SuperDuper! (the program
name includes the silly exclamation point.) There is also Carbon Copy
Cloner (name maybe slightly wrong) which is free and I hear works
well, but for USD 30 or so, I think SuperDuper! is a bargain. The
first backup may take a while, but subsequent backups (backing up
only the changed files) border on the instantaneous, or in any case
take typically no more than two minutes.

The backup should, in my opinion, be to a second physical hard drive,
not merely a new partition. External hard drives are quite
inexpensive these days and are very cheap insurance. Internals are
even cheaper.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools