[OS X TeX] Installation of BibLaTeX on OSX/TeXLive2008 (MacTeX)

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Feb 11 14:09:18 EST 2009

On 11.02.2009, at 19:51, Rolf Schmolling wrote:

> Hi fellow Mac-citizens,
>
> please could someone be so kind and advise me on the installation of
> BibLaTeX on a TeXLive2008 (MacTeX) System?
>
> After studying the README which says:
>
>> INSTALLATION
>>
>> Copy all files found in the 'latex' directory of this package to
>>
>> 	<TEXMFLOCAL>/tex/latex/biblatex/
>>
>> and the file in the 'bibtex' directory to
>>
>> 	<TEXMFLOCAL>/bibtex/bst/biblatex/
>>
>> where <TEXMFLOCAL> denotes the root of the local TeX installation
>> tree, for example
>>
>> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/
>> or
>> 	/usr/share/texmf-local/
>> or
>> 	C:\Local TeX Files\
>>
>> The manual ('biblatex.pdf') and the example files in the 'doc'
>> directory go to
>>
>> 	<TEXMFLOCAL>/doc/latex/biblatex/
>>
>> or to any other place where you will find them later.
>
> I am not so sure any more: Should I use MyUser/Library/texmf and
> create the directories mentioned above (currently there is just /
> bibtex, /doc, /fonts, /tex in there) or into root/Libary/TeX etc.?
>
> I'd like to put it somewhere where all users might find and use it
> and I donot want to mess up my clean and nicely working system. Note
> that I have not messed with any config-files and prefer never to
> have to.

Normally you would put it in your local tree which is MyUser/Library/
texmf and create the needed directory. This way your individually
installed packages don't interfere with those which are part of
TeXLive. Note that only the respective user has access to those files
with this setup. I'm sure there are also solutions, if you want a
local tree which all users of your computer can access, but I couldn't
tell you which would be the best way to do this.

Simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the
last resort for dictators.“ Francis Ford Coppola