[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.4

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Jan 2 16:15:20 EST 2009

On Jan 2, 2009, at 9:54 PM, Michael Hoppe wrote:

>>> What is the output of `env`?
>
> obenketzberg:~ michaelhoppe$ env

[...]

PATH is okay here...

>>> What is the output of `cat ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist`?
>
> obenketzberg:~ michaelhoppe$ cat ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

[...]

> 	<key>PATH</key>
> 	<string>.:/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:/usr/local/
> teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/
> libexec:/Developer/Tools:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/
> usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin</string>

...and this is not good, but what I expected to see.

>>> Do you have a teTeX install at /usr/local/teTeX?
>
> Yes, but I don't use it.  I'm using TeXLive instead.  It resides in /
> usr/local/TeXLive/2008.

Unfortunately, GUI programs such as TLU are inheriting your
environment.plist PATH, which has teTeX in it.  I add /usr/texbin at
the end of the path for greater security, but since tlmgr uses the
first kpsewhich it finds in your path, it breaks horribly.

The build I posted on my iDisk [1] has a potential workaround for
this, and logs a message when it finds environment.plist or teTeX.
Please let me know if this version works for you.

thanks,
Adam

[1] http://homepage.mac.com/amaxwell/.Public/TeX%20Live%20Utility.app.zip