Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Sat Jan 3 04:50:13 EST 2009

On samedi 03 janv. 09, at 17:52, Jean-Claude DE SOZA wrote:

> It's normal, Lucida Grande doesn't have the Japanese ideograms. Open
> the Font Book (Livre de polices) and choose Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro
> and you'll see all the ideograms plus the Roman characters.

Why is it necessary to specify a font ?

If I already set the document class (article here) the default
behavior is to use a certain font (category ?) Why is XeteX not
automatically providing the fonts that cover the characters I used ?

I have just created (copy-pasted from the XeteX CJK sample) a new
command:

\newcommand{\cjk}[1]{{\fontspec[Scale=0.9]{Hiragino Mincho Pro}#1}}

for Japanese strings that appear within French sentences.

But how can I be sure that the font I set for CJK is of the same style
as Times (the one I choose as the main font) for ex ? How can I be
sure that the scaling is correct ?

Jean-Christophe Helary