Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sat Jan 3 12:11:24 EST 2009

On 3 Jan 2009, at 09:50, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> On samedi 03 janv. 09, at 17:52, Jean-Claude DE SOZA wrote:
>
>> It's normal, Lucida Grande doesn't have the Japanese ideograms.
>> Open the Font Book (Livre de polices) and choose Hiragino Kaku
>> Gothic Pro and you'll see all the ideograms plus the Roman
>> characters.
>
> Why is it necessary to specify a font ?

Because xetex is not responsible for making typographic design
choices, only for carrying out the instructions of the document author/
designer.

> If I already set the document class (article here) the default
> behavior is to use a certain font (category ?) Why is XeteX not
> automatically providing the fonts that cover the characters I used ?

The default is to use Computer Modern, which contains only a very
limited selection of characters. Other classes might default to fonts
with a larger repertoire (such as Latin Modern), or additional
packages could change the defaults to entirely different styles, but
there will always be the possibility of entering characters in your
document that aren't present in the default fonts. If you want such
characters to appear, you have to specify an appropriate font for them.

> I have just created (copy-pasted from the XeteX CJK sample) a new
> command:
>
> \newcommand{\cjk}[1]{{\fontspec[Scale=0.9]{Hiragino Mincho Pro}#1}}
>
> for Japanese strings that appear within French sentences.
>
> But how can I be sure that the font I set for CJK is of the same
> style as Times (the one I choose as the main font) for ex ?

It's not clear to me what it would mean for a Japanese font to be "of
the same style as" a Latin one.

> How can I be sure that the scaling is correct ?

Fontspec's [Scale=MatchLowercase] option might be worth a try, but
ultimately this is not something that can be reliably automated; only
a designer's eye can judge what is a harmonious combination of fonts
in various script, styles, and sizes.

Sorry, xetex does not attempt to make any of these typographic
decisions for you, to guess what might look OK on the page. It uses
exactly the fonts that your document (and classes/packages) specify,
and if those don't include some of the characters you need, then
they'll be missing from the output. (Provided TeX's \tracinglostchars
parameter is positive, there should be warnings in the log to inform
you of this.)

JK