[OS X TeX] BibTex with MacTeX

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 06:55:15 EST 2009

On Jan 6, 2009, at 17:59 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> That should work fine. There are lots of folks that believe a
> symlink is the same as an Mac alias and it definitely isn't.
> Hopefully you always have your external drive mounted when you use
> any of these files.

It is a true symlink (I'm an old unix hack) built from the command
line. I never use an alias.

I would be in real trouble without my external drive -- all (and I
mean all) of my work (professional and personal) resides on it.

In fact, the contents are copied at least weekly to a backup. I'm
contemplating adding a second backup. There are years of work stored
on those two drives. Although the likelihood of both failing is
probably sufficiently close to zero that I'm worrying about something
only remotely probable, I think I'll go buy a second backup drive and
make sure the contents are synchronized regularly.

Best...

-=d