[OS X TeX] A bug of Apple pdf routines that affects to TeX ?

Juan Luis Varona jvarona at unirioja.es
Thu Jan 8 11:27:06 EST 2009

Dear TeXfriends,

I think that I have found an irritating bug of Apple pdf routines
that affects to TeX in a Mac.
I send a example that explain the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Juan Luis Varona

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\title{I think that this shows a bug of Apple pdf routines that affects to TeX}

\author{Juan Luis Varona}
\date{}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

Compare the alignement of the third symbol ``$|$'' in the following
formulas with~``$+$'' and~``$-$'':

$|x| + |y|$

$|x| - |y|$

In the pdf generated with pdflatex, it is very well aligned.
But the alignment fails after~``$-$'' IF YOU PRINT with the Apple Preview
(both in the paper and in a pdf in the hard disk), and also if, with TeXShop,
you print or you select the formulas and drag it to the hard disk (as a pdf).
I do not know the reason, but the~``$|$'' is too close to the~``$-$'' and
too far to the~``$-$''.

No similar problem arises printing (in a paper) with Adobe Reader.

I do not know where to report this problem (or if it is already known).
Can some guru in the list to help?

I have checked the problem with Mac OS X 10.5.2 to 10.5.6
(I do not have older Macs).

Yours,

Juan Luis

\end{document}