[OS X TeX] A bug of Apple pdf routines that affects to TeX ?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 8 14:00:51 EST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Juan Luis Varona wrote:

> Dear TeXfriends,
>
> I think that I have found an irritating bug of Apple pdf routines
> that affects to TeX in a Mac.
> I send a example that explain the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Juan Luis Varona
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>
> \title{I think that this shows a bug of Apple pdf routines that
> affects to TeX}
>
> \author{Juan Luis Varona}
> \date{}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \maketitle
>
> Compare the alignement of the third symbol ``$|$'' in the following
> formulas with~``$+$'' and~``$-$'':
>
> $|x| + |y|$
>
> $|x| - |y|$
>
> In the pdf generated with pdflatex, it is very well aligned.
> But the alignment fails after~``$-$'' IF YOU PRINT with the Apple
> Preview
> (both in the paper and in a pdf in the hard disk), and also if, with
> TeXShop,
> you print or you select the formulas and drag it to the hard disk
> (as a pdf).
> I do not know the reason, but the~``$|$'' is too close to the~``$-
> $'' and
> too far to the~``$-$''.
>
> No similar problem arises printing (in a paper) with Adobe Reader.
>
> I do not know where to report this problem (or if it is already
> known).
> Can some guru in the list to help?
>
> I have checked the problem with Mac OS X 10.5.2 to 10.5.6
> (I do not have older Macs).
>
> Yours,
>
> Juan Luis
>
> \end{document}

Howdy,

I can confirm having this problem with the pdf file produced with
pdflatex. Printing via Apple's PDF API adds space between that | and
the following y even though the pdf display is correct. It may be a
problem (Apple had a bad pdf printing problem in early versions of
Leopard) with the printer interface. Since Adobe uses their own
printer interface it prints perfectly there.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)