[OS X TeX] old Apple end-of-lines

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Tue Jan 20 05:38:14 EST 2009

Le 19 janv. 09 à 16:10, Michael Hanson a écrit :

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:49 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know if there exists a Unix program that transform
>> Unix or Mac OS X end-of-lines to old Apple end-of-lines ?
>
> 	Simplest might be to use BBEdit (or its smaller free sibling,
> TextWrangler) to batch replace \n (line feeds -- current Mac OS X
> and Unix) with \r (carriage returns -- "old Apple" e.g. Mac OS 9).
> BBEdit/TW allow you to to undertake the replace across a large set
> of files (based on various criteria so you only replace on the
> files you need) -- all without having to open all the files first.
>
> 	For a "Unix" solution, see this (old) discussion on MacOSXHints:
> <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20001206164827794>.
> As is typical for Unix, there are at least a half-dozen different
> ways to complete this task.

Thanks for the Unix solution.

In fact, I need to revert to old Apple end-of-lines because I
have .idx files containing many diacritics from French, made under
MacOS X, and I want to sort them into .ind files, without using
retyping everything in order to use the alias mechanism.

And I prefer not to go into and out from any text editor (there are
three different index files in the book). I want to have this process
automated by calling a command line from my LaTeX file (by using
shell-escape and write18)

Under Mac OS 9, I can then use the old makeindex v.2.12, which could
deal with diacritics, and which is drag and drop.

Strangely, there is no need to convert back the .ind to Unix end-of-
files.