[OS X TeX] Initials - fonts

George Ghio gghi at bordernet.com.au
Wed Jul 15 00:33:23 EDT 2009

On 15/07/2009, at 11:07 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:29 PM, George Ghio wrote:
>
>> Ah, I didn't. The installation was from Texlive08.
>> Let's make no bones about it, I use TeX but am a fair ways from
>> understanding it. I can find some of the files but it is hit and
>> miss. I really just don't understand the structure.
>>
>> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/initials.
>>
>> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/initials.
>>
>> It always seems that the person who writes the documentation
>> assumes that the reader already knows as much as the author. (Sigh)
>> Such is life.
>>
>> As far as I understand it I did a full install. I suppose the first
>> step is "Where should the files be?"
>>
>> Any help is gratefully accepted.
>>
>> George
>

> Howdy,
>
> 1)Installing in texmf-dist is discouraged since a re-install will
> overwrite the changes/additions. You should put the files in texmf-
> local (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local).
>
> 2)Did you run `sudo texhash' after installing the files? [This lets
> TeX ``know'' the files exist.]
>
> 3)Where did you put the .map files and did you run `sudo -H updmap-
> sys --enable Map foo.map' for each of the map files (i.e., put the
> proper map name in for each map file in the initials fonts. [This
> tells latex how to use the fonts.]
>
> 4)What about the .sty and .fd files? Where did you put those?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

1) I used the installer. I use Tex as installed.

2) I have no idea how to do this. I wish I did, but, I don't.

3) The files were put wherever the installer put them.

4) The .sty and .fd  files are wherever the installer put them. I have
yet to find a .sty file for the Initials package, anywhere on my
computer or the www.

Now then Herb. I appreciate that you have knowledge beyond my ability.
I do not know how to do what you know how to do.

To date I have yet to find a simple guide for the use of TeX. All the
guides assume that one already knows what is being described. Still I
have managed to use TeX for my writing. I like TeX and I like this
group.

Let us assume that the installer has placed all the files in correct
places. If I put - \usepackage{initials} - in the preamble I get an
error that says that - initials.sty - can't be found. So is the -
\usepackage{initials} - a correct command or are  - initials -
actually contained in a different package and the command should be -
\usepackage{???}.

Many thanks for your time spent.

George