[OS X TeX] Initials - fonts

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 14 21:07:57 EDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:29 PM, George Ghio wrote:

> Ah, I didn't. The installation was from Texlive08.
> Let's make no bones about it, I use TeX but am a fair ways from
> understanding it. I can find some of the files but it is hit and
> miss. I really just don't understand the structure.
>
> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/initials.
>
> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/initials.
>
> It always seems that the person who writes the documentation assumes
> that the reader already knows as much as the author. (Sigh) Such is
> life.
>
> As far as I understand it I did a full install. I suppose the first
> step is "Where should the files be?"
>
> Any help is gratefully accepted.
>
> George

Howdy,

1)Installing in texmf-dist is discouraged since a re-install will
overwrite the changes/additions. You should put the files in texmf-
local (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local).

2)Did you run `sudo texhash' after installing the files? [This lets
TeX ``know'' the files exist.]

3)Where did you put the .map files and did you run `sudo -H updmap-sys
--enable Map foo.map' for each of the map files (i.e., put the proper
map name in for each map file in the initials fonts. [This tells latex
how to use the fonts.]

4)What about the .sty and .fd files? Where did you put those?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)